Monday, December 2, 2013

#2: Sunflowers - a second attempt at a floral

Sunflowers
8" X 10" canvas board

After my first lesson I decided to make another stab at painting flowers. I felt much better about this painting. I didn't feel as rushed to "get 'er done" so I enjoyed the process more. 

Inspiration: sunflowers from our garden:

What I think I learned:
  • Acrylic paints dry darker than they appear when they are wet.
  • Next time I will paint the entire canvas with the background color, then I'll trace my subject, or sketch it on the canvas.
  • I like the shadows in the sunflower centers, but my image just doesn't 'pop' like the original; is it my darker, more orange colors? or is it because there is less contrast between the background and the flowers?


1 comment:

  1. You are off to a good start; blue skies and sunflowers, two of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete