Saturday, June 18, 2016

#37: Doc & Duke

We toured Ocala, FL. This area is also called the "Horse Capital of the World" as there are more horses, per capita, than anywhere else. The area has a huge Thoroughbred breeding and training presence, but there are other breeds represented as well. While there, we took a carriage ride past some of the farms. Doc and Duke, sweet black Percherons, provided the horsepower.





I decided to make notecards for fellow travelers, I decided to try the black gouache and white charcoal pencil technique I had learned in an online class with Val Webb. 



What I liked about this drawing:
It always amazes me how much can be done with black and white. I love how the character of the horses seems to come through. I like that the dots, bits, buckles and hames look like silver. 

What I might do differently:
I needed to take more time smudging the white, and blending it into the black. I didn't have any paper stumps or tortillons, but I'm sure I could have improvised with something - or I could have put the piece aside until I had the chance to visit a shop. Well, heck, I could still do that! I should have used more of a dry brush technique for the hairs sticking up between the ears. 

What I learned:
I forgot to leave the eye white. I think had I been able to use charcoal to make the eye black, instead of using the white charcoal to make the white areas of the eye, the effect might have been different. 

4 comments:

  1. My cousin used to live in Ocala. I love it. It's not too far from Crystal River Plantation, where we swam with the manatees. So fun! And I love your horse drawing. Gorgeous.

    Cindy Bee
    Ps. I hope I never see or hear another tornado...ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous painting!!!
    i read your profile writing and so glad that your God made all dreams of your's rue .
    have a wonderful 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dreaded clicking on this blog, Dreaming, because I figured you would be well into the 100s. I'm sorry I have been absent, because I love watching you grow as an artist. I hope that you are still making time for art, because you are an amazing artist. These horses are lovely, and you must have had a lot of pleasure working on this project! I'm hoping that 2017 will have way fewer ways of interrupting my blogging! Have a good day, my friend and neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my best fan! I am struggling finding the time to do art. I am blessed to be healthy and active and have so many distractions from my pursuit!

      Delete