Tuesday, March 17, 2015

#27: Have Faith

Inspiration: A blog friend's husband is in the hospital following a liver transplant. He is in guarded condition. But, had he not had the transplant it is likely he wouldn't have survived. Last year he acquired a darling puppy and named her Faith.  My blog friend posted a picture of Faith looking very sorry. I thought it would be a great exercise to try to capture the puppy's expression. As her husband improves, I'd like to incorporate the picture in a card for him.

#27: Faith

Gouache and charcoal pencil
6" x  9" vellum paper


Faith posted on


I was pleased with the puppy's expression. I enjoy painting with gouache, and then highlighting it with the charcoal pencils. My pup's face is a bit short. I think my original sketch was better proportioned, but then I covered the sketch with the gouache. My error came when I began to use the white charcoal pencil to define the features. 
The next time I use this technique it would probably be helpful to make a copy of the original sketch before covering it with gouache, especially if he subject has little or no white marks left unpainted. The black gouache totally obliterates the pencil marks.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, read Inger's blog, and am hoping that all is going well, your sketch and sending a card, caring and so thoughtful. greetings from way down south in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger has so many wonderful friends around the world. I hope all of our well wishes and prayers give her strength. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete