Sunday, March 2, 2014

#13: Heading to the Beach


Painting #13 Heading to the Beach



Inspiration:
A friend of mine posted a picture of the beach on Hilton Head Island, SC. I loved the way the picture drew me inside, so I decided to try to paint it. 


Original Photo
M Wright

What I like about the painting:

  • I was pleased with the way the ocean looked, with small waves showing on it. 
  • I liked my sky, except I was not especially pleased with the mist on the horizon. 
  • I struggled with the clouds but was not totally displeased with them in the end. 
  • The path to the beach almost looks like it is sunken a bit, which is the effect I was trying for.

What I would do differently:

  • I think I’d move the ocean down to the bottom third line of the painting and have more sky showing than beach and dune. 
  • I was not happy with my sea oats. They are too thick and need to be darker. 
  • I think I needed to have more contrast in the grass to show the bright highlights where the sun is hitting it on parts of the the dune. 
  • The dune looks flat. 

What I learned:
I tried to be more aware of negative space with the sea oats, trying to tie them together with stalks or blades of grass that cross each other. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dreaming! I almost made a comment this morning on wondering when your next painting would come! I liked your sea oats silhouetted against a pretty sky! The path invites you into the picture (even if the dune is flat!). Happy travels to you and Mr. Dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did get that sunken feeling in the path.
    Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for more, Dreaming! Isn't it frustrating at times how life gets busy and slows down our Dreams! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete